At St Joseph and St Teresa's we use the Read Write Inc. scheme to teach synthetic phonics.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is an inclusive literacy programme for all children learning to read and teaches synthetic phonics. Children learn the 44 common sounds in the English language and how to blend them to read and spell. The scheme includes both a reading and a writing focus. Reading is the key that unlocks the whole curriculum so the ability to efficiently decode is essential. The continuity and pace of the programme is key to accelerating the progress of children’s reading development.
Aims and Objectives
To teach pupils to:
- apply the skill of blending phonemes in order to read words
- segment words into their constituent phonemes in order to spell words
- learn that blending and segmenting words are reversible processes
- read high frequency words that do not conform to regular phonic patterns
- read texts and words that are within their phonic capabilities as early as possible
- decode texts effortlessly so all their resources can be used to comprehend what they read
- spell effortlessly so that all their resources can be directed towards composing their writing
Children are assessed every 6 weeks and are grouped according to attainment.
To read our Read Write Inc. phonics policy, please click here.
If you have any questions at all regarding Read Write Inc. please speak with your child's teacher or Miss Shelton, Read Write Inc. coordinator.